The Green Scene
Welcome to the Taos Mountain Music Festival "Green Scene".
During your visit to Taos Ski Valley, surrounding national forest and wilderness, please join us in our ongoing mission to preserve, conserve and protect our unique alpine community’s fragile ecology and precious natural resources. Taos Ski Valley is dedicated to realizing this mission with an existing program of evolving green initiatives that presently include:
- providing 100% of Taos Ski Valley's electricity from renewable sources,
- offering a "Ski Green" carbon offset program for visitors & guests,
- supporting the expansion of regional public transit,
- adopting conservation ordinances,
- maintaining a state-of-the-art tertiary waste treatment facility,
- providing a comprehensive community recycling program,
- and more...
Taos Mountain Music Festivians can contribute to our community's mission by joining our efforts to fight global warming now! You can help our planet keep winter cool. With your help, we all get one step closer to conserving and preserving our earth's fragile ecology and natural resources for future generations.
To get started, try the following 12 ways to pledge your support to Keep Winter Cool as a responsible alpine steward:
- Check your tires before you travel:Keeping your tires inflated properly can improve gas mileage by more than 3%. Every gallon of gasoline saved keeps 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere!
- Drive a fuel-efficient vehicle to the Taos Mountain Music Festival:For example - If your trip involves renting a car, reduce your carbon emissions by selecting a more fuel-efficient compact or hybrid car.
- Car Pool to the Festival:Not only will you reduce carbon emissions; you will save money and have more fun!
- Tread lightly and leave no trace:Enjoy your visit to Taos Ski Valley as responsible alpine stewards by walking only on established trails and leaving our pristine mountain environment as you found it without a trace of your being there.
- Visit & use the Festival Waste Stations:For goods purchased at the Festival, use the compost, recycling and waste bins provided at the festival. Please ask our volunteers if you’re not sure, so compost and recycling is not contaminated. With your help we can achieve our goal of less waste to the landfill and more waste being composted and recycled.
- Reduce Hospitality Rental Impact:For Festivians staying in a hospitality suite or rental unit for the weekend, let management know that you wont need to have your towels and sheets washed daily, turn off the lights when you are not there and try to conserve water.
- Purchase a "Keep Winter Cool" Green Tag at the Festival:Festivians can help stop global warming by purchasing a "Keep Winter Cool" Green Tag at the Festival's Taos Mountain Green Scene Booth.
- Neutralize your Festivian carbon footprint:Offset the full global warming impact of your travels to and from the Festival by purchasing NativeEnergy carbon offsets at the Festival's Taos Mountain Green Scene booth.
- Support efforts to relocalize our economy:For example, make a choice to promote sustainable community by purchasing locally harvested real food by local real farmers.
- Pack it out:When you leave Taos Ski Valley take home what you bring to the festival including recycled items. Your contribution will help the Festival reduce the environmental impact of onsite waste management.
- Spread the word:At the festival and beyond, promote the "Keep Winter Cool" cause and the fight against global warming to other festivians, family, friends, your home community and beyond.
- Create and share your own pledge:Add your own pledge to our "Keep Winter Cool" pledge list at the Festival's Mountain Green Scene booth.
Learn more about Global Warming, Keeping Winter Cool and responsible Earth Stewardship at the following websites:
NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL
"The Natural Resources Defense Council works to protect wildlife and wild places and to ensure a healthy environment for all life on earth."
Visit this website to explore the issues, get the latest news and take action!
KEEP WINTER COOL
"The biggest cause of global warming is the carbon dioxide released when fossil fuels like oil and coal are burned for energy. So when you save energy, you fight global warming (and save money, of course)."
"Snow is great, and we want to keep it that way. The trouble is, things are heating up out there. That could mean shorter seasons and less snowfall. The reason is global warming, caused by heat-trapping pollution. We can fix the problem, as long as we start soon. That’s why the Natural Resources Defense Council and the National Ski Areas Association have teamed up to Keep Winter Cool. And when you use your voice and your vote, you encourage laws to help fight global warming now."
Visit www.keepwintercool.org to find out how you can help Keep Winter Cool.
We can solve the climate crisis
"We are 2,340,658 people determined to solve the climate crisis and repower America with 100% clean electricity within 10 years"
Join the "We Campaign" at www.wecansolveit.org to help make it happen.
NATIVEENERGY - Bringing New Renewables to Market
Purchase carbon credits at www.nativeenergy.com to offset the carbon footprint of your transportation to and from the Taos Mountain Music Festival. Currently all NativeEnergy website purchases support 100% renewable wind energy development.
Bonneville Environmental Foundation - (BEF)
"Everyone has a footprint. Not the kind you leave behind on a sandy beach or the one that tells you what size shoes to buy, but one that represents your environmental impact on earth. It is a measure of the amount of greenhouse gas pollution you produce and how much this contributes to climate change. Its called your carbon footprint."
Visit www.b-e-f.org to find out how you can shrink your carbon footprint.
American Wind Energy Association - (AWEA)
AWEA s a national trade association representing wind power project developers, equipment suppliers, services providers, parts manufacturers, utilities, researchers, and others involved in the wind industry - one of the world's fastest growing energy industries. Representing hundreds of wind energy advocates from around the world, AWEA promotes wind energy as a clean source of electricity for consumers around the world. The Association provides up-to-date information on:
- wind energy projects operating;
- new projects in various stages of development;
- companies working in the wind energy field;
- technology development; and
- policy developments related to wind and other renewable energy development.
Visit www.awea.org to learn more about the potential of Wind Energy.
Local Harvest - real food, real farmers, real community
A significant amount of the food consumed in the US is transported long distances around the planet from where it is produced at a very high environmental cost that contributes substantially to global warming. A growing movement of relocalization offers an environmentally conscious alternative to unsustainable globalized food production and distribution. Relocalization is the process by which communities are localizing their economies and essential systems, such as energy and food production. You can join the relocalization movement and reduce global warming by supporting and purchasing real food grown by real farmers in real communities. The best organic food is often grown closest to you. Websites like www.localharvest.org offer a way to find farmers' markets and other sources of sustainably grown food in your area.